Go Back   ChallengeYou Forum > ChallengeYou > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about anything related to ChallengeYou in here.

Unread 08-19-2016, 01:03 PM

Talking Oh, boy... here we go.

Man, where do I begin?

I joined ChallengeYou on June 28, 2008 and I was 10 years old. I'm currently 18 and am enjoying life to the fullest. I remember getting into a bunch of trouble with CY for miscellaneous things, and all of my games sucked (yet I remember being so proud upon the completion of Nightmare 2).

Surprisingly, I've matured quite a bit and am the proud valedictorian of an early college program. I'm currently enrolled in Duke University's computer science program and I am aspiring to become a software developer.

Anyway, I recall many aMazing memories from ChallengeYou and made many friends (a few whom I continue to talk to to this day). It really makes time feel like a fleeting dream.

Anyway, best of luck to all of you and I hope that you all are doing well! cya
Unread 12-11-2016, 10:50 PM

Default Wow

Nostalgia, what a giant amount of nostalgia.

Sky, Haakson, my two best mates on this site id say, at least for a large part of it.

19 now, but this site brings a tear to my eye.

Love you guys. And all of ChallengeYou.
Add us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/daniel.brog.1

<3
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

BLUIX IS THE BLUEST OF THEM ALL!

◄ Lefty- And Proud

Joined 8th March, 2008 - True Veteran

''The greatest member never to win a contest'' -(I forgot who said this)
Unread 02-06-2017, 04:52 PM

Default Things are going fine.

Haven't really been on here in a while. Nice to see there are people I remember, but it's kind of sad to see that things aren't too active.

I can't really play anything on here since I'm using Arch Linux. I don't think Adobe Shockwave works on it.

I'm 18 now. Almost 19. Started programming in C/C++ around the time I was 12 or 13, or around the time I stopped using CY. I've also worked with Golang, Java, Haskell, and a few others. I normally don't like picking favorites, but Haskell is probably my favorite, followed by C.

I'm working on my own programming language. It's still early in development and doesn't yet compile, but I think it's interesting. The main goal is to make a purely functional language that can handle implicit parallelism. Then in the future, I want make the core open and make it available for other languages. Awfully ambitious I know, but I think I can pull it off with enough work. The syntax is somewhere between Haskell, Lisp, and APL, and the type system is somewhere between Idris and Rust, with my own tweaks. If anyone is interested, look up Bzo Compiler on Github. I won't post a link because I have my full name on my Github page, which might infringe upon a rule or something here. Not sure, but I don't want to take any chances. If anyone else knows Haskell, feel free to contribute!

Other than that, much to the discontent of my parents and teachers, I decided to skip college and go straight for a programming job. That ended up being a good decision. I just got myself a really good job at an IoT startup. Looks like focusing on programming rather than school work the last couple years might have actually been worth it (At least for me. It's not a good plan for everyone. This is NOT a recommendation. Your experience may vary. Stay in school kids!).

Those are just a few of the good things. Plenty of bad things have happened too. Oh well. For the most part, things are going fine. In some ways I expected things to be going better, and in other ways things are better than I ever imagined they'd be. That's life for you. That's why I try to focus more on the good parts.

I hope everyone else is doing well. Good luck in the future!
Unread 07-31-2017, 07:22 PM

yo, guys!
it's been a little over a year since my last post way back in 2016 and it's a few months off from my 18th birthday... and almost a decade since i joined way back in october 2007

so, the series i talked about the last time i was here ended a few months back. in march, actually, which was a month away from its 3 year anniversary

on the game dev thing i mentioned a while ago, i actually did get into that, although it hasn't gone past the concept stage yet, since the team consists of exactly two people. both of us were working on the story & designs until recently; the project's on-hold for now due to issues with the battle system (or the lack thereof)

on the animation thing, not much progress here (because i didn't feel like actually doing it) but i've been planning to pick it up sometimes this year. because i got inspired... by a youtube short. yeah.

as for my art, it'd be quicker to just link you guys to the pieces i've made recently, so... you'll find them here, here, and here.
i also have a series in the works... or six, actually. i've been really inspired since early 2017, so i've been doing a lot of things since my last post!

although... i haven't actually made any new games since i left CY behind in 2011, but dang i am just raring to get my hands on the editor again just to see what i can do now, 10 years later. it's not as easy to make a game from scratch with rpgmaker like it was in the editor.

hope you guys are doing well! see y'all in a year (or less if something big happens i guess)
Unread 08-10-2017, 02:12 PM

Default Off to college!

I don't remember whether or not I've posted in this thread, but I think I've been a member of ChallengeYou since 2010! I remember the days when the community was booming and everything is crazy, but, you know, things change.

Seven years ago, I believe I was in junior high being my immature ol' self. And now I'm off to one of the biggest colleges in the United States. I'm going in for Computer Engineering, and it's definitely gonna be extremely challenging. But being in a big college allows me to become free to socialize, tailgate at football games, and have a whole lotta fun!

I became a lot more social and outgoing my senior year of high school, although I'm still as nerdy as I was when ChallengeYou was still around. I transitioned from being isolated in my room playing games like ChallengeYou and Transformice to being Homecoming King my senior year. That drastic change was wonderful, and I absolutely love how it's so easy for me to talk to people now.

I played tennis throughout high school and ended up undefeated in my conference senior year (what a great way to end my high school tennis career). As I stated earlier, I'm still a big nerd. I was in my high school's robotics team which was a wonderful experience since my robotics team has made it to the World Championships every year I was on the team. Balancing tennis, robotics, schools, and all the other extracurricular activities that I did was extremely tough on my part and I rarely had over 5.5 hours of sleep. This is why I scheduled my first class in college to be at 11:15 AM, which should give me ample time for me to sleep and get to class on time as long as I don't sleep extremely late every day.

I'm excited to be going into college. I don't know if any of y'all will be reading this, but if you do remember me and want to contact me for all the memories, feel free to PM me and I'll give out my social media info.

Peace out, I'll update in 2-4 years!

Contest Entries!

1st Place: Earth Contest, Playground Contest, and Obstacle Contest
2nd Place: 3D Word Contest, Videogame Contest, Beta Contest, and City Contest
3rd Place: Best Contest and Castle Contest
Unplaced: none (weird, huh?)

For the latest 'Sasruto' game, please click here.
For more 'Sasruto' games, please click here.
Unread 09-18-2017, 01:34 AM

I just don't know you guys. It's phenomenal how every has stayed updated and together. Ten years gone and I always keep coming back here, and I'm always amazed.

I'm currently working in embedded systems, doing most of my development in C (abstraction is for wimps). I'm also currently working on my M.S. in Computer Science, with my thesis titled "On Computer Science Education and Its Faults." You may read it once it's complete x).

I'm glad everyone is making something of themselves. I almost sort of grew up with the lot of you, and this site lead me down the path of game development and later computer science in general.

I'll be sure to give a shout out in my acknowledgments =D.

Be cool everyone! I'm glad the gang is still here, there, or somewhere. Don't let the dank memes corrupt you!

-Dylan
AKA
Maddy
AKA
Madman622